A space heater that is a name of comfort during winter or snow fall can be the mere reason for a horrific accident if you don’t know how to use a space heater in a proper way.
We, as your well-wishers are unwilling to leave you vulnerable for such an unseen danger. Therefore, here goes our today’s attempt to provide you with a detail of using a space heater with the ultimate security.
How to use a space heater
In addition to introducing you to the hacks of secure use of a space heater, at the end, we will be sharing some pro level tips with you to keep your electricity bill sustainable.
Set up the space heater securely
Although setting up of a space heater appears to be very simple yet it’s not if you want to make sure of a secure use. Therefore, if you are a new user of a space heater, before you set it up after your mind and call in catastrophe for you, check out this entire setting up section.
- The surface on which you will set the heater must be solid and flat at the same time. If it’s coarse or flexible, there remains a certain possibility of the heater’s falling down on the ground at any time just by a zephyr or simple touch.
- Maintain a distance of four feet at least between the heater and the easily flammable stuffs like bedding, drapes and furniture. And, if you use the heater in your workshop then extra awareness must be in you.
- Neither set the heater directly on the ground nor on the top of any furniture. Placing it on the ground increases the risk of its getting damaged by the touch of water spilt accidentally. Again, placing the heater on a top position multiplies the risk of fire.
- Never cover your space heater with anything just to make sure that dirt doesn’t sit all over it. Doing so also scales up the risk of fire taking.
- To prevent the heater from posing burning and tripping hazard, you must careful of doorways and high-traffic areas.
- Avoid passing the power cord via carpet, furniture and rug. Make sure that the cord doesn’t pass by a place where you or your family members may step in.
- Remember that overheating is always a bad thing. This simple appearing matter can lead to a catastrophic situation.
So, to keep your space heater far away from overheating, you should never plug it using power strips and extension cords. Instead, you must ensure that your heater is plugged to the outlet directly. Besides, the heater must be the only plugged in electronic device to the outlet.
In the final step of this point, you should over check the tight fitness of the plug to the outlet.
You must be aware of the fact that electricity flows well through water. So, if there is any water source or container close to the heater, remove that. Most importantly, you must abstain yourself from touching the heater with wet hands.
Run the space heater with the utmost care
Just like the secure placement of the heater, running it with the utmost care is a must. This ensures you further safety with proper effectiveness.
- Keep the plug, cord and wall outlet under frequent surveillance. Check every of these by touching. But, before you touch any of these, don’t forget to unplug the heater and switch off the wall outlet.
If you find any of these to be minimally hot, you must replace that part before the next use. The reason is – heat refers to default. And, a simple default of any of these parts is able to ignite a horrific fire by simple sparking.
- Always keep in mind that a space heater can be used only as a supplement heater to the central heater. So, you should expect it to heat a mere room only not the entire house.
Another vital point is that you should never try to heat up any food or clothes or garments using the space heater.
- Everyone and everything of the world can serve you for a fixed amount of time. You cannot expect anyone or anything to serve you 24*7.
Therefore, you should never run your space heater for all day along at a stretch. This will heat up the engine of the heater that can ultimately blast inside. Eventually, the heater will either be permanently unfit for reuse or require costly repairing.
- Avoid keeping the heater run in a room where there are unattended kids. Kids out of their instinctive curiosity will touch it unwarily or push it down hard without realizing the consequences.
- When not in use, you must not switch off the electricity flow but also take out the heater plug from the wall outlet.
Tips to save a heap of electricity bill
- Heater size must be based on your room size. Calculate your room size and search online for a suitable space heater for the size. For example, if the room is of 300 square feet, then you must go for a large size heater.
- Use a space heater that contains the most effective power saving feature. For example, we can refer to a ceramic pedal space heater.
- Do you live in an old house that features tiles and hardwood floors? Then, we strongly recommend you to use a baseboard space heater. Why? Well, this heater has a high capability of absorbing cold drafts from windows and doors.
In the end, our only suggestion for you is that while making the purchase you must make sure by over check that the heater is recommended by any certified testing laboratory. Remember, if the quality of the heater is not up to the mark, all your learning of how to use a space heater will of less or no use.